Saturday, December 20, 2008

Nieces Takeover...Day 1


Ok, Janice and I have my 4 nieces for the weekend. 7th, 6th, 3rd, 2nd grades...I'm so tired right now. Parenting must be hard because Aunting and Unceling is tough enough. Here's a quick low down on the night:



1. Pick them up - Can they talk any faster, louder, and all at once for the entire drive from Yakima to Tri-cities?
2. Dinner was great. Janice had it ready and they put forth their best manners...including saying excuse me after every burp...
3. The plan for cookies was awesome. By the way, how do you get frosting off the ceiling...the table...the bottom of the table...and oh yes, dogs really like frosting. I never did get a straight answer if that plastic knife was double dipped after the dog 'wanted to try it...'
4. We did have a fantastic time talking and drawing pictures to send to their dad who is in Iraq for convoy support...and oddly enough crayons do leave marks on Janice's table, but come up very easily.
5. Espn got her first bedtime story, which was a 15 minute story about a King named Corey and his Queen Janice and his house of gold. I liked the part where the King wanted to tax the peasants for more gold...
6. The word 'Bedtime' means you have engaged the 2 hour countdown timer where you must monitor every step. Problem is there are 4 of them and 2 of us. We can't go man-to-man against these kids. A zone is the only option but leaves too many holes for them to exploit.
I imagine being at a dam when a water leak starts. You plug it, another goes. You plug it, another...pretty soon, you're out of hands and feet.... I love my nieces and am having a blast!












Also, these kids are growing so fast! I think some of the Christmas gifts we bought will no longer fit them by tomorrow.











4 comments:

Lolli said...

Those girls are so lucky to have you two as aunt and uncle. What a fun night you gave them! I'm sure they love their weekends with you guys. I can't wait to hear how day 2 goes. Have tons of fun!

Ali said...

Yes, I am anxiously awaiting a post about Day 2...

Lolli's right...those girls are so lucky! It's really nice of you guys to take them for the weekend. Seems like you're doing a fantastic job :)

Hailey said...

That is so great of you to do that! Isn't it exhausting? I remember watching my brother's at that age and just wanting them to stop talking! Thankfully when you raise your children they get to ease you into it! cute post. love the pic's.

SunnyD said...

Can I just say I'm laughing so hard right now. Imagine...do all of this with a little bit YOUNGER kids. Let say maybe...6, 4, 3 and 8 months. Oh...and a two bedroom house. :)And 24-7. And everyone wonders why I never do my hair. HA!